Kettlebell deadlifts are a weight training exercise performed using kettlebells. In this exercise, you have to lift the kettlebells off the ground to the level of your hips. These kettlebell deadlifts are one of the greatest compound exercises for the strengthening of glutes, hamstrings, quadriceps, and muscles of the lower as well as upper body. This exercise is also referred to as posterior chain exercise as it mostly works on muscles of the backline.
For those who are looking for building muscle with kettlebells , this is a perfect workout for the home.
Kettlebells improve the overall strength of the body and improve the coordination, balance and flexibility of the body. Sometimes you might see kettlebells with different colored bands or painted different colors. If they are following the international standard, different kettlebell colors indicate different weight. These color codes are Pink (8Kg), Blue (12Kg), Yellow (16Kg), Purple (20Kg), Green (24Kg), Orange (28Kg), and Red (32Kg).
Steps Of A Kettlebell Deadlift Form:
- Stand with a kettlebell placed between your feet.
- Push the hips backward while hinging and maintaining a straight back.
- Bend the knees keeping your back straight with your chest lifted.
- Grab the handles of the kettlebell with both hands.
- Push into the ground to stand up with straight arms and lift the kettlebell just above the knees.
- Keep your glutes tight and do not lean backwards.
Repeat the same process for further repetitions. One crucial thing to note here is that breathing is an essential part of deadlifting. So, match your inhales and exhales to your hip movements.
Types of kettlebell deadlifts
You can perform the deadlifts with a kettlebell with many variations. Some of the variations are:
- Kettlebell sumo deadlift: In this type, use both your hands to lift the kettlebell. Beginners can significantly benefit from this exercise. This helps them in learning the basic hip hinge movements and also improves their stamina.
- Boxed sumo deadlift with kettlebell: Once you master the sumo deadlift technique, you can perform a boxed sumo deadlift to further intensify the impact of this exercise. In this variation, use two boxes under your feet and lift the kettlebell from the ground. You should take proper care of your back when performing this exercise.
- Suitcase deadlift with one kettlebell: Lift the kettlebell from the sides rather than between your legs. This acts as a good side plank and works on the sides of the body.
- Suitcase deadlift with two kettlebells: This is performed by lifting two kettlebells simultaneously from the sides of the body. This deadlift increases the pressure on the legs and buttocks. This movement engages a more significant number of muscles and hence is highly impactful.
- Single-handed deadlift: Lift the kettlebell from between the legs with a single hand. This lifting causes a slight rotation of the body and increases cross-body core activation.
- Single leg deadlift with one kettlebell: In this type, you will need to raise one leg along with pulling off a kettlebell from the ground. This is an advanced level deadlift and connects the top of your body to the lower body. Hence, it requires good balance and core strength.
- Single leg deadlift with two kettlebells: Lift your left leg along with pulling two kettlebells from the ground. This exercise is beneficial to improve strength.
Precaution To Be Taken While Performing Kettlebell Deadlift
Kettlebell deadlift is a complex exercise as it involves most of the muscles of our body. So, while performing this exercise, you must take some precautions, including:
- Kettlebell warm-up : Before performing the kettlebell deadlift always have some warm up to avoid any injuries to the muscles.
- If you are new to this exercise, start with a lightweight and preferable under the supervision of a certified trainer.
- Learn to hinge at the hips not at the lower back as it may lead to serious back injuries.
Benefits of Kettlebell Deadlift:
- Full body muscle activation: This exercise uses a lot of muscles, ie, quadriceps, hamstrings, glutes, lower back, forearms, and core. So, building muscles with kettlebells is an excellent option for those who are thinking about muscle development.
- Improves posture: Our changing lifestyle involves a lot of sitting. Most of the time, we keep leaning forward. This leads to a distorted posture of our body. The kettlebell deadlift helps in the improvement of our posture by pulling everything backward and opening up the chest and shoulders.
- Fat loss: Kettlebell deadlifts are ideal if you are planning to lose a fair amount of weight. The key to fat loss is the activation of a more significant number of muscles which leads to improved metabolism. This exercise activates more muscles of the body. This helps in burning more calories and ultimately, more fat loss.
- Sculpt your entire core: The whole core is engaged in this deadlift. More involved is the core in an exercise more sculpted will be your body.
- Enhance body awareness and coordination: Kettlebell movements are very dynamic. This leads to improved muscle connection and focus of the mind, which helps in more awareness and coordination.
- Improves grip strength: If you do kettlebell deadlifts regularly, you will develop a solid grip strength. Kettlebell is indeed one of the best tools to improve grip strength.
- Improve the overall strength and stamina of the body: As you go at different levels of this deadlift, your body becomes more strengthened. This exercise improves the overall strength of the body.
- Low risk and high reward: Kettlebells are highly safe than traditional equipment like barbell squats and bench press. They put much less pressure on your spines. So, the deadlifts performed with kettlebells cause minimum side effects.
- Improve joint health: Kettlebell deadlifts improve or maintain joint health. They strengthen the muscles that support the joints.
- Increased cardiovascular activity: This exercise also increases your cardiovascular activity. This helps in improved breathing control.
- Cheap, easy, and portable: kettlebells are the most affordable of all the deadlifting equipment available and also are easy to use. And since they are also compact, they are easily portable.
So, if you want to get your core in action or tighten your glutes, try out these Kettlebell Deadlifts and see your body transform. And if you want to order kettlebells online , visit Kettlebell Kings . Choose from a range of high-quality kettlebells and enjoy free shipping!!
Kettlebell Kings has the most highly & frequently reviewed kettlebells in the world. We have free shipping in the US & Canada ( www.kettlebellkings.com ), Europe ( www.kettlebellkings.eu ) and Australia ( www.kettlebellkings.com.au ). Check out our 4,000 reviews for quality and customer service here !