We are excited to collaborate with the team at Mind Pump Media on a five part series to bring you some kettlebell exercises and movements designed to build your physique and muscle mass with kettlebells. The first few posts in our series covered legs , back on shoulders . In Part 4 we will be dissecting a chest building super set with kettlebells.
There is a misconception that kettlebells are only good for functional training and even among the lifters who use kettlebells for aesthetic training; the one muscle group most people do not think of kettlebells for is the chest. The guys at Mind Pump will show you why this is a myth because of the pec activation you can achieve with kettlebells.
Why Train Your Chest With Kettlebells?
The movements that kettlebells allow for compared to traditional barbells or dumbbells will make you feel more of a squeeze at the top of these movements and allow you to go deeper into your press at the bottom compared to what you are used to. You will be hitting your chest muscles in a different way then they are used to and different is the key here for building muscle, specifically more range of motion will build the entire muscle better than limited range.
Chest Building Demonstration by the team at Mind Pump
Kettlebell Bridge Press (Shown Below)
- Lay down with your back flat on the ground and a kettlebell to each side
- Bring your feet up so that your knees are bent at about 45 degree angles (demonstrated)
- Bring your hips all the way up off the ground and activate your glutes and squeeze so you have a neutral spine. This will allow you to get a lot deeper into your press
- Your shoulders will be automatically retracted into this position as well
- Press the kettlebells upward, keep your elbows tight, squeeze the chest at the top of the press, barely letting your elbows touch the ground
- Aim for 10-15 reps and immediately switch to the next movement
Do 10-15 reps of each exercise and then rest before repeating each back to back for a few sets. Used in the demonstration are Steel Standard and Competition Kettlebells from Kettlebell Kings. We have weights ranging from 2Kg|5Lb to 92Kg|203Lb kettlebells. These style kettlebells are ideal for these lifts because they are the exact same size and shape regardless of weight.
Close grip push up on kettlebells
- When you are done with the first movement, immediately get up and turn over and move the kettlebells in closer together with the handles situated long ways (shown)
- Keep your elbows tucked in tight to your side and prevent them from flaring out
- Get into push up position over the kettlebells, making sure your shoulders are lined up over your wrists and do a push up down between the kettlebells. Make sure you go below the tops of the kettlebells to benefit from the increases range of motion
- Maintain tension and control the whole way down, you might need to practice
- This movement will promote good mobility, flexibility and range of motion which builds the entire muscle
Do 10-15 reps of each exercise and then rest before repeating each back to back for three to four sets.
Make sure to watch out for our last post in our series with Mind Pump, we will be creating more posts just like this one to designed to teach you about different ways you can use kettlebells for building muscle, whether it be for yourself or for physique competitions.
Our last piece in this series is about building your arms with kettlebells . If this is your first time reading one of our posts, we create kettlebell workouts like this one in collaboration with kettlebell lifting champions and experts which are designed to give you maximum results and not take up much of your time. We send these to your in box automatically every week! We recommend you read more about receiving a quick, free, dynamic kettlebell workout every week you can click below.
Also, we recommend you subscribe to our posts so you can be notified when we publish helpful content for kettlebell workouts. We cover topics like technique , how to chalk a kettlebell, breakdown of kettlebell movements , strength building and kettlebell workouts for specific niches like combat sports and fitness competitions . Additionally, you can be notified when we publish new articles about specific kettlebell movements or techniques as well as niche pieces like this designed for specific training.
Kettlebell Kings is based in Austin, Texas, we create a wide range of kettlebells ranging from 2Kg|5Lb to 92Kg|203Lb kettlebells. Used in the demonstration are Steel Standard and Competition Kettlebells . All orders have Free Shipping and ship the same day if ordered before 5 PM Central Time.
Our goal is always to create helpful, informative and safe content for you to explore the world of kettlebells and we think using kettlebells for building muscle mass is an untapped area in our world and theirs.
About Mind Pump:
The guys at Mind Pump have a really popular podcast in which they shed truth on health, fitness and a host of other topics by providing unique perspectives about workout programs, supplements and faux science. They are all experienced, certified professionals and are unique even in their own space because of their approach to training by incorporating tools like kettlebells into a space in which they are under utilized.
Mind Pump has collaborated with Kettlebell Kings to make some awesome videos demonstrating how kettlebells can be used for aesthetics and bodybuilding. You can find more from Mind Pump on iTunes, Sticher, Podcast Republic or Google Play. Also, check out their YouTube channel Mind Pump and their website www.MindPumpMedia.com .
Kettlebell Kings has the most highly & frequently reviewed kettlebells in the world. We have free shipping in the US & Canada ( www.kettlebellkings.com ), Europe ( www.kettlebellkings.eu ) and Australia ( www.kettlebellkings.com.au ). Check out our 4,000 reviews for quality and customer service here!