Here it is, Part 5 in our our collaboration with the team at Mind Pump Media . So far, we have brought you kettlebell movements for building your legs , back, shoulders and chest. In this last post we will cover using kettlebells to build your arms. (insert shocked emoji). We hope you have enjoyed our series on kettlebell exercises and movements designed to build your physique and muscle mass with kettlebells. Our goal is always to create helpful, informative and safe content for you to explore the world of kettlebells and we think using kettlebells for building muscle mass is an untapped area in our world and that of Mind Pump Media.
This should not be that controversial, but we have a feeling it will be. It seems that the idea of building your arm muscles with kettlebells might be the thing that traditional kettlebell folks and traditional body building folks can unite on, in both not liking the idea. Back when we first started we posted an image on Instagram of one of us curling a kettlebell and it didn't go over so well and we never did it again. Hear us out, and like any post we make you do not have to do it, but our posts are designed to be informative and bring different types of training to different types of people.
Building Biceps & Triceps With Kettlebells
If you are trying to build your arms, why would you consider kettlebells? The answer is the shape of the kettlebell, center of gravity and the way it rests on your wrist and forearms. Because of this, it causes a lot of stabilizer muscles to have to kick in and do work while you perform these movements. Also, the center of gravity created by the kettlebell resting on your forearm at the top of the curl or tricep exercise will create more tension at the top of the movement compared to a dumbbell and really make you work throughout the movement.
Building Your Arms With Kettlebells Demonstration by the team at Mind Pump
Kettlebell bicep curls
- With a wide stance, pick up both of the kettlebells in front of you with your palms facing outward (pronated) so that you are holding the kettlebells with the handles pointed toward each other (shown)
- It's okay to use your hips a bit for momentum but you do want to focus on using your biceps to bring the kettlebells up
- Curl the kettlebells while rotating on the way up so that at the top of the curl your palms are facing outward or supinated (shown)
- Keep your arms in tight to the body
- Aim for 10-15 reps and immediately switch to the close grip upright row
Do 10-14 reps of each exercise and then rest before repeating each back to back for a few sets. Used in the demonstration are Steel Standard and Competition Kettlebells from Kettlebell Kings. We have weights ranging from 2Kg|5Lb to 92Kg|203Lb kettlebells. Kettlebells that are the same size and dimension regardless of weight are great for various workouts like this.
Kettlebell Skull Crusher
- After completion of the first movement, immediately go to this by lying down on the ground with a kettlebell to each side
- Position the kettlebells straight up over you with your palms facing outward and the kettlebells wresting on arm (shown above)
- Perform the traditional skull crusher by bending at the elbow and letting the kettlebells down and then pulling them back up to the starting position with your triceps
- The biggest difference between this and barbell work is that the positioning of the kettlebells on your arms (shown) will created constant tension on your muscles so there is no rest at the top
- The positioning of the kettlebells also pulls your arms straight back compared to a barbell in which the weights are out away from your body
- Do 10-15 repetitions for maximum pump
How To Use
Try this at the beginning of your next arm workout before moving onto some of your traditional movements. Do 10-15 reps of each movement in a super set and then rest before repeating each back to back for a few sets.
Here Are Links to Our Previous Posts with Mind Pump:
If this is your first time reading one of our posts, we create kettlebell workouts like this one in collaboration with kettlebell lifting champions and experts which are designed to give you maximum results and not take up much of your time. We send these to your in box automatically every week! We recommend you read more about receiving a quick, free, dynamic kettlebell workout every week you can click below.
Also, we recommend you subscribe to our posts so you can be notified when we publish helpful content for kettlebell workouts. We cover topics like technique , how to chalk a kettlebell, breakdown of kettlebell movements , strength building and kettlebell workouts for specific niches like combat sports and fitness competitions . Additionally, you can be notified when we publish new articles about specific kettlebell movements or techniques as well as niche pieces like this designed for specific training.
Kettlebell Kings is based in Austin, Texas, we create a wide range of kettlebells ranging from 2Kg|5Lb to 92Kg|203Lb kettlebells. Used in the demonstration are Steel Standard and Competition Kettlebells . All orders have Free Shipping and ship the same day if ordered before 5 PM Central Time.
About Mind Pump:
The guys at Mind Pump have a really popular podcast in which they shed truth on health, fitness and a host of other topics by providing unique perspectives about workout programs, supplements and faux science. They are all experienced, certified professionals and are unique even in their own space because of their approach to training by incorporating tools like kettlebells into a space in which they are under utilized.
Mind Pump has collaborated with Kettlebell Kings to make some awesome videos demonstrating how kettlebells can be used for aesthetics and bodybuilding. You can find more from Mind Pump on iTunes, Sticher, Podcast Republic or Google Play. Also, check out their YouTube channel Mind Pump and their website www.MindPumpMedia.com .
Kettlebell Kings has the most highly & frequently reviewed kettlebells in the world. We have free shipping in the US & Canada (www.kettlebellkings.com), Europe (www.kettlebellkings.eu) and Australia (www.kettlebellkings.com.au). Check out our 4,000 reviews for quality and customer service here!