By now, you might be familiar with the benefits of a kettlebell workout. It is a great way to tone up your body and build strength, endurance and power. Kettlebells are very dynamic as they work on almost every muscle of the body. Kettlebell workouts targets every aspect of fitness: endurance, strength, weight loss, balance and cardio endurance. In short, a kettlebell workout is a one-stop solution to all your fitness goals.
While kettlebell training programs have gained widespread popularity in the last few years, kettlebells are often mistaken as simply interchangeable with dumbbells. Well, both of these are a way to achieve your fitness goals, they differ a lot and their shapes affect your workouts in different ways.
So, before moving ahead with kettlebell workout, let’s discuss the differences between the two.
Kettlebell vs Dumbbell:
You may think kettlebells are weights just like a dumbbell. They are similar in some aspects, but they are different in shape as well as how they work. The U-shaped handle of the kettlebell changes the way the weight works on your body because of the center of gravity. Kettlebells force you to master the use of momentum, deceleration and stabilisation while dumbbells do not because of the position of the weight.
One can use a kettlebell for muscle building and power development, while dumbbells are usually used for muscle building and strength training only.
People love kettlebell workouts due to their challenging nature, efficiency, and simplicity as it requires only single equipment.
Here are some of the benefits of kettlebell training.
- Improve coordination and overall fitness level.
- Improve body posture and alignment.
Time-Efficient- It involves multiple fitness components in a single workout program such as cardio, strength, balance and coordination, power and endurance.
- Help improve bone density, which ultimately makes the body strong for day-to-day tasks.
- Kettlebell workout also helps athletes to build strength and endurance. This training also helps them to recover from injuries.
Reduction in Back Pain- One study published in The Journal of Strength and Conditioning found that kettlebell workouts enhance the health and functioning of the lower body, which ultimately helps in back pain.
Simplicity- One piece of equipment keeps your workout simple as opposed to needing a lot of different equipment.
After reading about all these benefits of kettlebell workouts, you may be eager to buy a kettlebell or go to a gym and start your fitness journey using them.
Kettlebells are simple to use, but they involve full body attention and knowledge for proper movement. A simple mistake can hurt you badly. So, to avoid any bad injury or any other mishappening, consider these points before starting any training with kettlebells.
- Always use the right kettlebell: If you are a beginner and about to start kettlebell training, always start with a lighter weight in order to master movement first. Be careful about choosing the right weight and right size of the Kettlebell handle. Make sure to begin with lighter weight. Once you find the right-size kettlebell for you, you could choose from a range of different exercises that match your level.
- Challenging for beginners: kettlebell workout involves swinging, lunges and squats among many other movements. They may appear simple, but are tough for beginners and should be performed carefully and with expert instruction. So, if you are a beginner, start with mastering how to pick up the kettlebell, then the deadlift, then the squat. They are less risky than kettlebell swing.
Always seek expert help: If kettlebell moves are not performed carefully, you may get injured. Beginners should always seek expert help before starting any kettlebell workout program. Master the basics first by working with an expert or taking a course.
- Always use safe kettlebell workout techniques: As a newcomer, your first concern should be your safety. Use safe kettlebell workout techniques to avoid any injury. If you are losing grip of the kettlebell during training, you should stop and try a lighter weight or seek advice.
- Workout in ample space: Kettlebells are heavy and have the potential to seriously harm the user, if used incorrectly. Swinging the kettlebells requires sufficient space in the workout area. To avoid any obstructions during the exercise, you should choose a spacious workout area. In our courses, we recommend at least an 8 foot by 8 foot space for each attendee. The outdoor workout is a good idea; the only condition is the base should be flat. For indoors, choose a room with good workout space and a rubber mat on the floor.
Kettlebell exercises are all about momentum: Kettlebell workouts involve very explosive movements. Unlike lifting an ordinary weight, where you slowly lift a weight, kettlebell workouts use the momentum of the movement to lift the kettlebell. Kettlebell workouts are the perfect combination of strength and momentum that benefit both weight lifting and cardio workout in one exercise.
Proper Body Alignment Is Very Important: You should always pay attention to your form while performing any kettlebell workout.
Some of the points to keep in mind are:
- Keep your back straight, not rounded.
- Always bend through hips, do not bend your back. Hinge your hips.
- Ensure the neutral spine position of your back.
- Align your head and neck in a straight line to avoid any injuries.
Wrists: Position of the wrists is very important while performing a kettlebell workout. Do not hold the kettlebell too tightly or you risk flopping the kettlebell onto your wrist. Rotate as you move and ‘punch through’ the kettlebell. Maintaining proper form to protect your wrist will prevent the chances of injury.
Proper Breathing Is Necessary: to use a kettlebell safely proper breathwork is essential. This minimises the amount of force that you exert on your spine. If you can master your breath to inhale and exhale properly, you will move weight more easily and safely. Proper breathing will tighten your abdominal muscle, a technique called abdominal bracing. Practice the right breathing technique while performing the kettlebell exercise. Make sure you can tighten your abdominal muscle as you breathe out.
Risk of Injury: Any wrong move with a kettlebell can lead to a serious injury. Do not attempt advanced movements with rotation or flow until you have mastered basics like deadlift, squats, and presses.
If you consider these safety tips when starting your kettlebell workout, you will be able to start your fitness journey safely with little to no complications.
Kettlebells are highly recommended by many fitness experts when it comes to getting a perfectly toned body. Plus, these help you burn a lot of calories. If you want to order kettlebells online, visit Kettlebell Kings – one of the top kettlebell online shops. Choose from a range of high-quality kettlebells and enjoy free shipping. Order now!